Wednesday, December 17, 2008

So It Begins

I'm going skiing in early March '09 in Colorado to visit my good friends, Gary and Laurie. Gary and Laurie are pretty damn impressive skiers and so is my wife, Lauren. They basically tolerate my lameness on the slopes. I'm improving though albeit slowly. I wish to improve so that we can all have more fun out there.

Skiing at 14k feet above sea level reinforces a couple facts:

1) Being fat at work is no big deal. Being fat on a mountain sucks. You end up sucking wind and are exhausted after a half day of skiing.
2) You realize your physical fitness (or lack thereof) is limiting your enjoyment.

Being up that high will also make you realize that your boozing and sedentary lifestyle is slowly killing you. What I'm getting at is simple:

I am determined to be in better shape for this ski trip. My enjoyment of the trip will increase as I get into better shape. At least that's the prevailing theory.

I reached out to Gary and asked him if there were any particular workout regiments that were geared towards increasing your strength as it relates to skiing. His immediate response was p90x.

Gary bought the p90x DVDs recently and burned copies of them for me. They arrived at my house, neatly bundled in a DVD organizer and labeled appropriately. I sat down and watched the first two DVDs, How to Bring It and Chest/Back. My first impression of the workouts was "this will crush you unless you are already a professional athlete." I'm just getting over a cold now and I'm going to be home for 2 solid weeks.

Fuck it. Let's do this.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to CRUSH the slopes this year. I'm so excited!! But what will I do with myself if I can't call you 'Wedgemaster' anymore :(

    ReplyDelete